Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238A settings?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238A settings?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 16:17:45 -0500
Forget about trying to protect from a direct lightning strike.  That is not
what I am saying or implying.  Simply too much energy to dissipate.  Won't
happen.  I've seen sections of Rohn 45G from a single tower and strike
burned in to multiple pieces with the leg ends balled as a result of heat
that actually melted the metal.  Thus they burned and separated.  The
separations did not occur at the joints but in mid section.  The tower came
down.   Also the original 500 ft self supporting tower at WSM-TV in
Nashville took a hit of such intensity that one leg,  being a 10" x 10"
angel steel some 3/4" thick, bowed due to heat. Fortunately the tower didn't
fall and was repaired.   So the #10 or #12 or #14 wire that we use for
antennas and feedlines will simply vaporize under these conditions.  And
this needs to take place OUTSIDE of your house.

The idea with the spark plug is to use the "small engine" type plug not
automotive plugs.  There is a difference.  Most small engine plugs do not
have series resistors thus they are suitable for dissipating static
electricity, the result of near-by lightning strikes or static buildup from
wind or rain or snow.  This can induce several thousand volts on the antenna
which can be dissipated by the use of a spark gap made from a small engine
spark plug.

Of course commercial systems such as those by Polyphasor work great and are
highly suggested.  This assumes your budget will tolerate such and that they
are correctly installed.  With hard-line for feed line, add the cost of 2
more connectors in addition to the Polyphasor.  This then gets to be about
$150 for lightning protection for each coax.

For the "do it yourselfer" the spark plug approach works for balanced
feedlines and can be done for under $10.  If you wish to buy ready to
install, these are available from The Wireman for $24.95.
http://thewireman.com/ground.html#878

73
Bob, K4TAX