Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: "Ron Zond" <k3miy@csonline.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:36:51 -0400
Gary

You got a bad fan in your Argo V.
Happens sometimes.

Ron
K3MIY

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]On Behalf Of Gary D Krause
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 11:28 AM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment

I'm wondering how accurate this survey will be.  After all, they are pretty
much focused on the Ten Tec crowd.  If I didn't own a Ten Tec or even cared
about them, I wouldn't have visited their web site to begin with.  The only
reason I found out about the survey is because, I follow this reflect and
I'm
also thinking about buying a new rig. :-)  However, with all the talk about
problems with software updates, it gives me cause to pause.  It's good that
these issues will be addressed next.

A couple of years ago, I bought a new Argonaut V.  I also have a Century 22
that I bought in the 80's.  I had the Argo for about eight months and then
sold it.  The reason was that I didn't care for the DSP and the fan noise
among other things.  I have more fun with the Century 22 and I like the
filtering as well as the adjustable RF gain.  The point that I'm trying to
make is that it is a simple radio.  It isn't run by software, and doesn't
have
the computer type glitches that are often reported.  No menus either.  I'm
not
an old guy that started with the old boat anchors and I have nothing against
computer controlled radios.  I like bells, whistles, lights and shiny things
just like anyone else.  I'm just wondering if there isn't room for both?  I
just added this comment to perhaps give Ten Tec another perspective that the
survey doesn't.

Gary, N7HTS