Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 17:23:39 -0700
I doubt that 10% of transmitter site engineers contract any form of leukemia
or the Society of Broadcast Engineers, of which I am a member, would be
screaming about this.  Most of the job-related deaths among broadcast
engineers are caused by electrocution and tower falls, both of which are
preventable.

Exposure to benzene and ionizing radiation, such as that released by the
atomic bomb in Hiroshima or the nuclear power plant accident at Chernobyl
are the primary factors that seem to be associated with leukemia.  Benzene,
surprisingly enough, was used until the 1920's as an after-shave (Wikipedia)
and later as a solvent and an "anti-knock" additive to gasoline, but when it
started showing up in ground water supplies and it was a suspected
carcinogen, efforts began to reduce its use.  Benzene and related aromatic
chemicals are the result of incomplete combustion and can also be found in
tobacco smoke, giving us yet another reason to quit smoking.

Long story short:  if you're concerned that RF will give you cancer, don't
be.  With all the folks walking and driving around with cell phones stuck on
their ears, if RF could kill you, half the nation's population would be gone
by now.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com