Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 15:50:52 -0400
Bob Close writes...

>  IF the transceiver had harmonics and those were transferred to the linear,
> would they not be amplified by a factor of ten?

Seems to me a low-pass filter is not a band-pass filter, and isn't
there for normal attenuation of close-in spurs. It seems to me there
for attenuating VHF spurs above 30 MHz so that they don't get into
nearby TV's or FM radios (or cordless phones, stereo speakers, etc.)
Those spurs should be pretty small to begin with for well-designed
stuff that isn't overdriven, and a single low-pass filter on the
output is enough to clean up any little bit that is there.

The only low-pass filter I have is the low-pass effect of my Ten Tec
229 tuner with its L network. We see no RFI on our TV. I doubt that
any more low-pass filtering would be of much use.

Rick "lucky to live in a rural area" Denney