Re: [TenTec] SWR VS Power Loss

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SWR VS Power Loss
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 11:01:34 -0700

Steve Hunt wrote:

>Jim,
>
>That table could be very misleading without a lot more info.
>
>For example, is it showing the total loss, or the "excess SWR loss"?
>What type of cable is it for? And what length? At what frequency?
>
>If you believe the text, it's how the SWR "affects the power output of
>your radio" ! Pretty good radio that's still putting out 33% of its
>power into a 10:1 SWR load :)
>
>73,
>Steve G3TXQ
>

>Jim WA9YSD wrote:
>

>>Found this nice table.  Thought I would pass it along.
>>http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/SWRLOSS.htm
>>
>> Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD

Steve,

This table just shows the percentage of incident power reflected and
transmitted at a mis-matched RF transmission interface. You'll notice
that the "% of Loss" versus transmitted power (what they call "ERP")
always add to 100%. This has nothing to do with "excess SWR loss" on a
mis-matched lossy cable. As you point out, it also doesn't include the
impact of power-reduction due to final amplifier bias foldback in the
presence of a high VSWR.  The best way to think of this table is a
measure of how much power in a short RF pulse would be reflected versus
how much would be transmitted when that short RF pulse encounters a
mis-match junction along a very long losseless transmission line. For
instance, at 6.0:1 VSWR and a short RF pulse say 1KW in amplitude (old
NTSC TV horizontal sync pulse for instance) hits a damaged antenna on
transmission line that exhibits a 6.0:1 VSWR at the transmission
line/antenna interface. According to the chart, 50% of the incident
pulse power (i.e. 500 watts) would get reflected back toward the TV
transmitter and 50% would be transmitted into the damaged antenna (i.e.
the remaining 500 watts).  Not terribly useful for most ham applications.