Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help me Decide ??
From: Stephen Halliburton <steve@hsix.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 08:59:48 -0400
I have been designing and writing software since the 1960s and operate
primarily CW.  I think my Corsair is the perfect radio for me.  I don't
really want or need memories, pan displays, scanning, or any of that.
What I want is a solid quiet receiver, good filters and clean QSK.
I'm sure all that other stuff is fun to have, but for me it is not
at all necessary and doesn't have much to do with getting a signal
through, which is the primary purpose for a radio.

To put this in perspective though, I'm also a guy who thinks that
designing software so the user has to take his fingers off the
keyboard to use a mouse is silly.  With the Corsair I can operate
all the controls with my left hand and keep my right hand on the
paddles.  That's harder to do with a computer-driven rig especially
on Field Day with a gas lantern over a picnic table.

I don't doubt there are "better" radios in these days of DSP that
might beat mine by a few dB, but I'm happy to make that trade if
necessary to get continuous tuning and simple intuitive controls
that I can work without looking.  I suppose there is something
comforting about knowing that there is an actual circuit component
on the other end of each shaft.  If doesn't take much to understand
what will happen as I turn a knob of flip a switch.  Even under
difficult conditions, it's almost impossible to do something that
can't be quickly undone or corrected.  If amateur radio is really
about emergency communications, that's important.

....Steve WA2SOC