Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment

To: "Ten Tec" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment
From: "Joe W2KJ" <w2kj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:51:58 -0500
I'd like to offer some comments regarding Ten Tec customer support regarding
firmware upgrades.

I have a K3/10W version that I love.  I have an Orion that I also love.

I owned an OMNI VI/3 for 9 years before selling it and getting a new Orion a
few production runs after the first came out. The OMNI VI/3 was a fine
radio.

I was very pleased with the Orion except for the firmware glitches and the
shift to  V 2.0 firmware and all that entailed...I still use V 1.375b.

However, after using my K3 for about one year I can say that I won't buy a
Ten Tec again due to the lack of firmware support.  The performance of the
K3 is equal to or better than the Orion and the firmware support is superb.

There have been numerous firmware updates for the K3...almost on a weekly
basis incorporating new features that make the K3 a much better radio.

The Elecraft folks listen to their customers and implement customer wishes,
too bad Ten Tec doesn't have the same appreciation for customer input and
support.

I believe Ten Tec underestimated the need for hiring and keeping firmware
folks to take care of their new SDR radios.

I can't recall the last time Ten Tec had a firmware update for my Orion.

I can easily see selling my Orion and getting a loaded K3 to use along with
my QRP K3.

Not on a rant against Ten Tec...I have been a loyal customer for over 25
years going back to my Argonaut 509's, 515 and ARGO V more recently.

But as a customer I reserve the right to spend my money on the best product
in terms of performance and also in terms of support.

I know that Amateur Radio sales are only a very small part of the overall
Ten Tec business plan....too bad that's the case since they make some very
nice Amateur Radio products....but they sure need some full time help
dedicated to writing Amateur Radio firmware.

                                    73, Joe W2KJ