Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:43:13 EST
Jim,

I feel for you!  Fortunately, being 25 miles south of Tucson I rarely
encounter strong local signals, except for one guy on 160 with key clicks who
shall
be nameless.  He isn't running T-T or Elecraft but he puts out  multi-KWs.

Years ago when I lived in DC I was running a KWM-2 (which I still have BTW)
and a ham across the street had an FT-101E.  'Nuff said!

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 11/19/2008 7:25:52 P.M. GMT Standard Time,
k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On Wed,  19 Nov 2008 10:08:37 -0800, Ron Castro wrote:

>Ray:  FWIW  although I'm not a contest "heavy",

While the K3 has some "features"  advantages over the Orion family,
the MAJOR advantages of the K3 are its  far superior RX strong signal
performance and much less TX sideband trash.  That allows high power
stations to co-exist much closer to each other. My  neighbor W6DRX is
about 0.3 miles from me. N6RZ is about two miles, K6XX  about 5
miles. W6DRX and I both bought K3s solely because of our  proximity!
In the recent SS, we were both able to run high power on the  same
band without killing each other. K6XX runs K3s. We can work within
500 Hz of each other on CW. There are many situations like mine in
the  Bay Area.

BTW -- I just received the sub-RX mod for my K3, and it is  equal in
performance to the main RX (actually better than the main RX if  you
use the direct antenna input, because there's no switching in the
way). I'm getting used to running the two RXs in diversity mode.

BTW -- I'm going through these details not to bash the Ten Tec
products, but rather to emphasize the fact that there's no good
reason  to trade in your Orion or Omni VII unless you're a VERY
serious contester  or weak signal DXer!

73,

Jim  K9YC