Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Fan Disappointment....
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:01:06 -0800
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:08:37 -0800, Ron Castro wrote:

>Ray:  FWIW although I'm not a contest "heavy",

While the K3 has some "features" advantages over the Orion family,
the MAJOR advantages of the K3 are its far superior RX strong signal
performance and much less TX sideband trash. That allows high power
stations to co-exist much closer to each other. My neighbor W6DRX is
about 0.3 miles from me. N6RZ is about two miles, K6XX about 5
miles. W6DRX and I both bought K3s solely because of our proximity!
In the recent SS, we were both able to run high power on the same
band without killing each other. K6XX runs K3s. We can work within
500 Hz of each other on CW. There are many situations like mine in
the Bay Area.

BTW -- I just received the sub-RX mod for my K3, and it is equal in
performance to the main RX (actually better than the main RX if you
use the direct antenna input, because there's no switching in the
way). I'm getting used to running the two RXs in diversity mode.

BTW -- I'm going through these details not to bash the Ten Tec
products, but rather to emphasize the fact that there's no good
reason to trade in your Orion or Omni VII unless you're a VERY
serious contester or weak signal DXer!

73,

Jim K9YC