Re: [TenTec] Omni C help

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni C help
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <Mike_N4NT@embarqmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 02:25:19 -0500
Hi, Jerry

The common terminology for the symptom of a PTO with dry, gummy grease is
"warble."  Signals warble in frequency instead of being stable and as Phil
says, there is difficulty in making fine frequency adjustments.

I've needed the rebuild kit from Ten-Tec only once, in a 544 Triton PTO.
The front bearing race appeared to have a groove worn in it.  When I think
back on it, I wonder if it wasn't machined like that when new and the design
was changed to reduce the fabrication expense.  Oh, well.

PTO's changed frequency slightly due to "hand capacitance" when the tuning
knob is touched.  Later models had two music wire wipers mounted under the
screws at the front of the PTO.  The wipers rubbed on the shaft.  It's an
easy retrofit.

Happy New Year, everybody !
Mike N4NT