Re: [TenTec] Digital on Orion II

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Digital on Orion II
From: "Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]" <peter@frenning.dk>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 10:43:49 +0100
John Simon skrev:
> I know this question may have been asked before but I can't find any
> reference to the answers.
> My newfound friend, a TT Orion II, is set up for Digital work, ie PSK31,
> RTTY, Packet etc, I have all the correct conections etc and everything seems
> to work.  The manual gives little help though in the correct setting for
> digital work through a soundcard.  This radio is totally new to me in that I
> can modify any/all settings from A to Z and I'm learning all the time.
> Settings such as AGC, ALC, Audio Gain etc. So if some kind lads would advise
> me on some of their settings I'd appreciate the help.
>
>                          73, John de VK2XGJ
> Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring.
>          So I go back to being me!

Hi John, congrats on your new friend! I got mine about 4 weeks ago!
I've designated "User 1" settings for Phone and "User 2" for Digital
modes, that makes for an easy shift from one to the other.

Mostly I work JT65A, WSPR and PSK31 at low power.
I've connected my Soundcard interface (a SignaLink USB) to the "AUX"
connector.
Important settings:
AUX input gain       40
TX Audio Src          AUX
Bandwidth             1800
Line Out Src           Main
Line Out Level        Low
AGC                        Off
RF Gain                 100
ATTN                     12dB (normally)

It works very well, with signals in WSPR mode down to -33dB decoded

PWR setting varies but from "1" to "25" mostly.

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** CW: Who? Me? You must be joking!! **
email: peter(no-spam-filler)@frenning.dk