[TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000D RF Compressor versus Ten-Tec 715 RF Clipper... n

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Yaesu FT-1000D RF Compressor versus Ten-Tec 715 RF Clipper... not the same.
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:31:35 -0700
Quote:

    "Dear Rick,

    With all due respect, I'm interested in finding out why you are using
    the Ten Tec RF processor with a 1000D when the 1000D has one of the
    best RF speech processors ever to be included with a ham rig, built
    right into one of the rig's IFs where an RF processor belongs."

There is another issue at work here when comparing the Yaesu design to the
Ten-Tec 717....

A check of the FT-1000D User Manual confirms that Yaesu included an RF Speech
Compressor circuit... whereas the Ten-Tec Model 715 is an RF Clipper.... not a
compressor. There are rather significant differences to how compressor and
clipper circuits work, with clippers being more complex in design therefore
generally more costly.... which is why most transceivers use either audio
compression, audio clipping or RF compression for speech processing circuits.
Then of course all audio compressors are not alike.... all RF compressors are
not alike, etc.

There have been more than a few studies over the years comparing the maximum
possible 'clean(ish)' increase in average voice for a RF compressor versus a RF
clipper circuit. Ten-Tec provides a copy of one of those studies with each 715
and I believe it can be downloaded from their website as well. I suggest a good
place to begin is to allow each person to do their own investigation and
afterwards make up their own minds as to what is right for their needs.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT

--
Ralph Jerald "Jerry" Volpe