[TenTec] PTO Backlash help needed

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] PTO Backlash help needed
From: Tom NØJMY <n0jmy@hayseedhamfest.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:05:34 -0500
Hello.  New member here.  I have some Century 21's here which seem to
all exhibit dial backlash (maybe I should call it knob backlash) when
turning the tuning knob counter-clockwise.  The closer you get to the
CCW end of the dial travel the worse the backlash becomes.  There is no
backlash when turning the knob clockwise.

I've read quite a bit about dial slippage and rebuilding the PTO in the
C-21, but these units have all been cleaned and lubricated, turn freely,
and there is no dial slippage.

Have any of you fellows run into this problem?  Is this an inherent
characteristic of the C-21 PTO, or is it a problem that can be fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Tom, NØJMY .  .