Re: [TenTec] Weak Output from 706 Microphone and your recommendations.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Weak Output from 706 Microphone and your recommendations.
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:02:34 -0400
Geeze... what IS on that little microphone circuit board?
It cannot be too much, maybe just a bias voltage card
that modifies and provides 2 - 5 volts to the electret
condenser mic element.  I suspect you could figure that
out easy enough - maybe a broken connection, or a
component that has puked - like a switch, but probably
just a bad connection for some reason.   Maybe even a
broken contact where the cable attaches or a broken
cable internal wire where strain relief puts pinch pressure...
or even a break in the little wires that traverse the goose neck
between the base and the mic head... or...or...

But microphones are rather easy to make, so I doubt the
board is all that complicated.    I am thinking the mic
element has lost the bias voltage it is looking for...

Happy trails.

I would not spend $100 to fix it.   You could get a really
decent sounding dynamic mic for anywhere from $20
and up.