Re: [TenTec] Using David Clark phones (and boom mic) with Omni VI+?

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Using David Clark phones (and boom mic) with Omni VI+?
From: Rick W <ve7tk@yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:30:00 -0700 (PDT)
Rich I am using an
older David Clark boom set (H10-30).  I do NOT recommend the noise canceling
microphone.  It will work BUT the audio is quite constrained.  In my 1st on-air
test with the H10-30 I asked for an audio report and a "white cane" ham came
back to me.  He
said "it sounds like you're using one of those noise canceling
microphones!"

In my opinion, the
D-C element is excellent for inside an aircraft but not for ham radio.  So I
built a mic element holder out of some 1/2 inch plexiglass and inserted a cheap
Radio Shack electret element. The T-T rig voltage on the mic connector provides
appropriate bias.  I ordered a D-C wind sock cover and I was in business.  I
use
this combination with my Argo V and previously with my Omni V.  In the future I
hope to replace the electret with a Heil dynamic element.

The REALLY nice
thing about the David Clark's is the ease of getting replacement parts.  Even
here in BC parts are usually only 24 hours away!  I have replaced ear cushions
and ear covers over the years.

73,

Rick

VE7TK
Website:  http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk ;

[TenTec] Using David Clark phones (and boom mic) with Omni
VI+?

"Richard Lee" <kirkaby@gmail.com>

Thu, 13 Aug 2009 18:09:05 -0400

I was considering buying a pair of David Clark headphones (specifically,
HS10-13 S). Anybody using these with the Omni VI+? How about some other
David Clark model? The HS10-13 S comes with the M-7A noise-canceling
amplified electret mic, which requires a bias voltage.

For anybody using them with the VI+, how do you like them? How are your
audio reports? How do you have them hooked up? If you are taking the bias
voltage from the rig, are you having any trouble with RF?

Thanks for any help and/or comments.

73,
-Rich, W2EG