Re: [TenTec] OMNI-D

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI-D
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:47:34 -0600
On Tue, 2009-10-27 at 18:12 -0400, John Peters wrote:
>          Hi there,
>        I have a OMNI-D that has audio problem....  the first second a
> strong signal come on ssb. there
> is  a  sharp crack starting the audio.  And then again with the next
> strong signal.....
>       I heard someone else out there has had that and they fixed
> it     I recall ......
>             So looking for help      John     k2lot   c ya

Its a standard problem with crystal filters supplying some delay and
audio derived AGC. The simple solution is to back off on the RF gain.
Other solutions try to speed up the AGC response and are partly
successful, I've heard. Backing off on the RF gain is often very
successful because that reduces the amount of change on the AGC line and
so the intensity of the signal before the AGC takes hold.

73, Jerry, K0CQ