[TenTec] How well is a Scout on SSB?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] How well is a Scout on SSB?
From: Ivin Flint <ivinflint@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:44:40 -0800 (PST)
I had a Ten Tec Scout a couple years ago for a short time but wanted a true
QRP rig so I found it a new home.  I liked it quite a bit though I thought the
modules were a draw back.  I also know the classic minor drift they all seem to
have.  I have QSOed with Scouts on CW and the pitch will go up or down just
slightly but stays pretty much on frequency.  I didn't mind it and thought of
it as characteristic.

Now I am in the market to find my brother a HF rig.  He can't afford a rig but
I would like to keep him on the air.  I talked to him frequently on 75M.  (long
story), The Scout seems like a good fit.  I'm looking for something for home
and field/camping trips.  He does only SSB.  I never even connected the mic
when I had mine so How well does the scout work on SSB?  Is the minor drift a
problem?

I don't do a lot of SSB so I don't have a good feel for how much power is
really needed to not get frustrated.  I don't feel QRP is the way to go as a
single HF SSB rig for him (I could be wrong).  Any other ideas on radios?

Thanks
Ivin W9ILF