Re: [TenTec] Orion II receive antenna input

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II receive antenna input
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:09:44 -0800
Doug:

Looking at the schematic of the A0 board where the switching and QSK
blocking is done, I can't see that there is any special protection.  All
inputs have a gas tube and parallel RF choke to discharge static, but the
main two antenna connections have a diode network that builds voltage to
back-bias a pair of diodes in the RX line to protect the RX front end when
TX RF is present.  I suspect that a very strong external signal from another
transceiver in the shack would be blocked by the biased diodes on the two
main inputs from wrecking the O II receiver, but when the input is switched
to the AUX (RX only) input there is little else to stop extremely strong
signals that could damage the front end.

If I was going to use a long wire RX antenna in the area of a QRO transmit
antenna, I would use the ICE limiter/protector model 197 at the RX input, or
home-brew something similar.

            Ron  N6IE
       www.N6IE.com