Re: [TenTec] Encoder shaft stability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Encoder shaft stability
From: John McAlpine IV <kz4b@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:29:06 -0400
I have two Jupiters of 2002 vintage and an OMNI 7.  I removed the Adjustable
Drag Bezel (and all associated hardware)  completely on all three units and
went to the heavy weighted Orion II Knob with optional Soft Rubber (traction)
Ring--with all Knobs pushed as far back onto the Encoder Shaft as possible
(while still safely just clearing the Front Panel).  Note that the space taken
up by the Drag Bezel Assembly spaces the inside face of the Tuning Knob
approximately 1/4 inch or more farther out from the support of the Encoder
Bearing than what I am suggesting.   This modification greatly reduced any
perceived Tuning Knob "wobble" along with any mechanical "side-loading" of the
Encoder Bearing because of the significantly reduced shaft "leverage" length.
I think it looks much "cleaner" than the "stock" configuration. The Bezel (as a
result of it's poor design) is often physically "off-center" and appears to
"wobble" even if the Tuning Knob itself is perfectly centered!   My personal
taste is to have the least drag on the Tuning Knob as possible--where I can
literally spin it for fast frequency changes if/when desired.  Whereas there is
an electronic "Frequency Lock" Pushbutton on all three units--there is no need
that I can see for any "drag" to prevent accidental frequency changes--even
under (high vibration) mobile operating conditions.  My view is that the
"stock" Units should be originally manufactured by TEN-TEC just as I have
suggested.  I was MOST impressed with the improvement in the "feel" of the
Tuning Knob with the above-described modification.
If on the other hand--you just like the feel of some "drag" on the Tuning
Knob--then you must forget my suggestion!
John McAlpine / KZ4B