[TenTec] K2

To: "Ten-Tec Reflector \(Ten-Tec Reflector\)" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] K2
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:20:36 -0400
If I can interrupt, for a moment, our monthly tirades for and against Orion
firmware...

I'd like to solicit some opinions.  (I hope I don't live to regret that!)
And it actually is somewhat reflector related...

As some of you know, I won a Kenwood TS-480SAT at a hamfest not quite two
years ago.  Well, I find myself using my Corsair II more than the Kenwood,
so I put an ad a few days ago on QTH.COM seeking a trade for something
comparable, in terms of both technology and age (and what I'm comfortable
with), namely an Omni VI or VI+ (or VI with Options installed... whatever).
Just the rig, I don't need the PS as I already have one, courtesy of my
friend Bill W3WH.

I've had a few offers to date, one or two of which are intriguing.  (One wag
actually asked if I'd consider a "good classic" rig -- an ancient FT-101.
Uh, no.)

One offer was to swap the Kenwood for an Elecraft K2/10.

I'm intrigued, as I know Elecraft's reputation is almost as good as
Ten-Tec's (please no emails if you disagree!).  But I know nothing of this
particular rig, if it's had any options (such as 160) installed... and the
thought of dropping to a QRP rig is not of great interest right now.
Nothing against QRP, but I did a few years of that with my old Atlas 110,
and going back to that on a regular basis?

OTOH, it is an Elecraft.  And if I ever came up with a spare $400 or so, I
could upgrade to the 100 W output.

So... those of you familiar with the rig, what do you think?  Is this a
trade I should pursue, or should I stay "on course" and try and find an Omni
VI?

73, ron w3wn