Re: [TenTec] headsets

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] headsets
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 18:45:40 -0700
On Fri, 21 May 2010 21:22:01 -0400, Richards wrote:

>I have a $300 pair of Sennheiser HMD-45-6 open air headset,
>and a $250 Shure SM-2 set (closed ear)  and will be buying
>a $200 AudioTechnica headset soon.  THESE ARE PROFESSIONAL
>GRADE headsets used by announcers,  air traffic controllers,
>and recording and TV studio engineers.

Yes. Beyer makes comparable headsets that are quite rugged and
widely used in pro systems, particularly production intercom
systems that allow the many folks working on a production to
communicate with each other. I specify them for the systems I
design. They cost upwards of $250. There is NO good reason to buy
them for a ham station.

BUT -- I've said it before and I'll say it again. The best value,
by far, AND the best performance for a ham rig, is a Yamaha CM500
headset that you can buy from several internet sources for about
$45. The headphones are comfortable and sound very good, the mic
sounds great. It comes with 1/8-inch TRS plugs, so you'll need to
wire them for your rig. No big deal if you own a small soldering
iron and know which end to pick up. See my tutorial on RFI or the
one on Ham Interfacing for details of how to wire it.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

73,

Jim Brown K9YC