Re: [TenTec] whither CW

To: David Goncalves <davegoncalves@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] whither CW
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 16:46:18 -0400
Nobody. I'm just kidding, borrowing from the bumper sticker slogan.
That's the beauty of amateur radio: There is such a diversity of modes
and bands that there is something for every interest.

I like CW, but I don't buy the argument that we need it for the doomsday
scenario.  I did ARES and RACES volunteer comms for many years and they
use VHF FM almost exclusively. In my area, the state and local emergency
services took their Homeland Security grant money and bought
sophisticated trunked radio systems, and put radios on the system in
every cop car, fire engine, EOC and hospital, so there is little need
for ham volunteers. Ironically, the general public has no backup
communication, (other than short-range FRS) so that is where we can
help. Now if one were out in the wilderness, far from cell phones and
repeaters, it would be foolish not to take along a CW portable rig.

CW is lots of fun.  I'm a romantic, so when I operate CW, (especially
when I use one of my army or navy surplus keys) I sense a bond with all
of the great CW operators who have gone before: military, maritime,  and
clandestine ops. (Right now I'm reading "Sisterhood of Spies: Women of
the OSS").

There was one doomsday movie where CW was used: Independence Day. It
combined both new and old technology to defeat the aliens. The heroes
generated  a computer virus to disable the aliens' defenses, then used
CW to coordinate a world-wide attack,  because the aliens had knocked
out all of the communication satellites. There is a brief scene of a
room filled with guys pounding away on straight keys (they looked like
Benchers).  Jolly good fun.  With my Ten Tec gear and my keys and keyer,
I'm ready in case the aliens invade!

                                        73,

                                        Bob WB2VUF