Re: [TenTec] Looking for NB for Triton 544

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Looking for NB for Triton 544
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:52:42 -0500
On 7/25/2010 9:42 AM, Mike Hyder -N4NT- wrote:
> The noise blanker in my 544 is extremely effective against line noise.  I'm
> told it would work well with ignition noise, too.  But I believe it is not
> much punkin' on atmospheric noise.  (I have been wrong before).

NO ANALOG NOISE BLANKER HAS EVER WORKED ON ATMOSPHERIC NOISE. The noise
characteristics its made for are ignition noise and line noise that have
a regular repetition rate but are made of isolated narrow but VERY
STRONG pulses. Unless you have a thunderstorm close by, you don't get
similar pulses from the static crashes and the noise blanker doesn't see
big enough or narrow enough pulses to work to cut them out.

73, Jerry, K0CQ