Re: [TenTec] Headphones and QRN

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Headphones and QRN
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 01:22:02 -0400
That seems a sensible inquiry.

It is possible that very, very inexpensive, dollar store headphones have
limited frequency response.  But even then, they should play way beyond
the 200 to 5,000 Hz frequency range of the human voice.    Even crappy
phones usually play between 200 and 10,000 Hz and that would include
enough high end to still play a lot of hissssss.

On the other hand, some professional grade intercom and studio headset
(earphone and mic combination sets)  will have sufficiently limited
earphone receiver frequency range.   For example, the Shure SM-2
headset,  and the Sennheiser HMD series headsets,  have speakers limited
to the frequency range of human speech - for pretty much the same reason
we are discussing here.   Often the microphone is equally limited, but
for the most part, they have full range microphones to assure it is
particularly linear over the the speech frequencies.

But, generally folks want headphones with wide frequency range, so it is
very difficult to find what you are looking for.  That is why I use an
equalizer or filter to accomplish the high and low cut.