Re: [TenTec] The Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle
From: Louis Ciotti <lciotti1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:27:18 -0400
Just my $0.02 worth....

The eagle looks nice... simple controls, simple display... etc..

Personally what I would like to see out of TenTec is a good entry level
HF+6M radio.

I am what is considered a "new" ham.  only been licenced a hand full of
years.  My first HF radio was my grandfathers old model 540 (Triton IV).
And you know what... I love the simplicity of that radio.  No menus, just
knobs on the front panel.  I have often wondered why can't any manufacture
make a nice entry level rig with a similar number of controls all on the
front panel.  Include 4 filters, normal & narrow SSB and CW filters with
fixed BW on each.  I am thinking a sort of "throwback" rig, but with a
modern internal design.  Simple Analog SWR meter, Digital frequency display,
sensitive receiver, Tentec QSK, 5-100W output power, a NB... what else would
a new ham need, and priced around $500.

I often hear how the "hobby is dieing" well hard to get people involved in a
hobby where an new "entry level" radio is priced over $700.  Sure there is a
market for more expensive radios with more bells and whistles, but there is
a big hole for new hams still getting their feet wet.  Sure there are
used/older radios, but why not have a decent new radio with all the benefits
of newer modular designs, newer manufacturing styles, etc.... and priced at
a level that won't leave the new Tech stuck on 2M because a new HF radio is
out of his reach price wise.

73,

Lou
K2LRV