Re: [TenTec] Eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle
From: Art Trampler <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:45:25 -0700 (PDT)
In a word, I would say no. I contest routinely at K5GO, m/m, and I am confident
looking at the numbers even in QST that close-in signal handling capability is
not up to the task.

We run a mix of K3s, IC-765s and a lone Omni VI, with bandpass filters, to make
it acceptable. The 765s are not bad, but not as good as the K3s.

One item that has not been addressed for the m/m operation is the level of
spurious signal generation. I recall some donation made to ARRL of a commercial
grade rig used in embassies and the keying sidebands were down over 100db
within about 1kc of the keyed frequency! That was impressive. There was no
price tag.

Some m/m problems are the result of mixing and overload, and others are simply
that spurious emissions, while within FCC limits, are still noticeable after
going to 1.5KW out on the frequency and having antennas pointing at one another!

73,
Art, KØRO