Re: [TenTec] Eagle/FT2000

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Eagle/FT2000
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:02:07 -0500
Al,

I changed the subject a bit, to split this out from the Eagle.

One of our contest stations, which is a smaller one because it is located
inside Munich, on the outskirts, has gone to using only FT-2000.  They have
3 or 4 of them and only run multi-single.
It is small, but serious station; has a 3 element beam on 80m and two beams
for 40m, a couple of SteppIR, etc.

When the FT-2000 originally came out, I tested it there, and directly
compared it to an Omni VII, an FT-1000, a K2, a TS-480, and an Orion I.  The
test results, with audio files, was posted on the BCC web site, and there
was a link distributed here on our reflector.  That way people could hear
what I heard.

The Ft-2000 still had a few quirks back then.  It's performance seemed to be
on par with the FT-1000, more or less, and the 1000 had an Inrad filter.

In the meantime the FT-2000 has improved and our station uses the uTune
preselectors with them.
I did not have a uTune when I tested it.
The preselectors help a lot in Europe.

The station owner (Toffy, DJ6ZM) still uses his Orion privately, and I
believe he sold the Omni VII.

Since this is more or less a training station for the young kids in the
Munich area, he said they were more comfortable on the FT-2000's than with
the Orion.  Besides, it was cheaper to buy 3 or 4 more FT2Ks than 3 or 4
Orions.

Personally I would prefer an Omni VII in that price class, but better yet
would be a used Orion I.
However I would not try to stop a die-hard Yasue fan from buying an FT-2000.
It's a good rig.  But it's certainly no Orion!

73
Rick