Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The Eagle inflation costs, etc.
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:16:00 -0500
I agree AND I was trying to make the point that at the time I bought my
Corsair II station in 1988, I was buying technology that met MY requirements
as a DXer for sensitivity, no phase noise, and large signal handling
capability in the pile-ups.  I could have purchased a Japanese manufactured
radio for more or less money. I could have purchased a leading / bleeding
edge technology from TenTec ( the Corsair II was in its last year of
production at that time) but none seemed to do what the Corsair II and ext
VFO could for the price. I have purchased and traded in / sold both a
Paragon (extended coverage capability for MARS was the primary driver) and
an OMNI-VI+ while keeping the Corsair II.  Just after Dayton this year I
purchased a OMNI-VII, PS, and 300 and 500Hz filters.  The total cost of the
OMNI-VII station was less than the cost of the OMNI-VI+ or the Corsair II
price adjusted for inflation.  In my opinion, TenTec radio technology
continues to get better at a lower price.

The Eagle appears to be a great radio for the price.  Is it a replacement
for a OMNI-VII or Orion?  No.  Will it satisfy everyone's needs, wants, or
requirements? No.

It may be possible to manufacture / market  a 100 Watt SDR for less than
$1000; think FLEX 1500 with a 100 W PA, but you'll still have a radio
without knobs and a computer requirement for control.  And in any SDR you do
need to consider the cost of the computer because if you are going to be
competitive in the pile-up or contest the computer needs to be as good as or
better than the SDR, so the computer and screen are going to add $750 to
$1000 to the SDR's cost.... whoaaa we are at the cost of an Eagle.

73,

Gary - AB9M