Re: [TenTec] Comparison of Ten Tec Orion II with Flex 500A

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Comparison of Ten Tec Orion II with Flex 500A
From: "RM" <Ron.NU1U@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 09:05:02 -0400
AMEN

Humans are analog people

Ron / NU1U

-----Original Message-----
From: tentec-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:tentec-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Stuart Rohre
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:08 PM
To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment

A comparison was asked of the Flex "500A" and the Orion II.  Was Flex
5000 really meant?  If so, unfortunately, the front end of the Flex 5000 was
picking up higher band stations, (when on 40m SSB, it heard 20m SSB), from
another Field Day station, on the other side of our Field Day site.  I would
think the roofing filters in the Orion II are superior to the type of
receiver the Flex line has had since their first model.
Thus, likely the Orion II receiver is superior in all tests with strong
signals in the vicinity of the receiver under test.  The use of the computer
to run the radio is a downside to my traditional preferences for an all in
one, radio box.
I am not a fan of large computer displays so the smaller band scopes don't
bother me in the case of the Ten Tec and other such radios.  To me, real
radio is knobs, not a mouse. and computer.  ;-)

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH