Re: [TenTec] omni 6+/ power issue

To: <geraldj@weather.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] omni 6+/ power issue
From: "CSM\(r\) Gary Huber" <glhuber@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 19:02:14 -0600
In this case (my old OMNI VI+ after I'd sold it and the new owner used it
for several months) it was a 20 meter problem.

The OMNI VI+ I had was ordered from TenTec in May 2000. The OMNI VI+ was
discontinued in Feb 2002, so its not unreasonable for some units to need
maintenance even if they have been otherwise protected.  I doubt my the
temperature of my shack was ever below 68 or above 78 F, and humidity
between 35 to 65% and non-smoking environment. Electrically there was whole
house surge protection plus the radio was plugged into a 130 VAC MOV
network. The antennas were always disconnected when not in use and ran
through a TT auto-coupler. No near-by lightning strikes. So I believe the
aging of electrical components, thermal cycling, etc. are the cause of these
problems.... Still a great radio.