Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology/Gnded tip on whip ant.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology/Gnded tip on whip ant.
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:59:52 -1000

> I suspect the 6dB increase in gain was due to the horizontal component
> radiated when the antenna was bent over, not because it was grounded.

Could also be increased current in the whip, and particularly at the
highest elevation part of the whip. A straight vertical whip has zero RF
current at the top. (an unavoidable boundary condition) Adding a
capacity hat to the top is one way of increasing the RF current near the
top. Bending it over and connecting the tip to ground (vehicle chassis)
would also likely increase the RF current flowing in the highest part of
the whip, which is somewhere along the arc of the bent whip.

DE N6KB

PS: Using a new name does not make something new. We have wireless
systems all over the place, and it is newer than radio, and even newer
yet than wireless.