Re: [TenTec] Corsair II realignment: DIY?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II realignment: DIY?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2011 17:52:09 -0600
When not going through authorized distributors it is possible to pick up
counterfeit parts made to emulate good parts or good parts that are old
or didn't pass inspection. That's most hazardous when you don't have a
good capacitor checker to inspect the bargain parts. I don't like to use
electrolytics more than ONE year old when I can read the date code. Some
have used a private code that's not easy to break.

Yes the distributor gets more money for the good parts, 30 cents to $2
vs 12 to 65 cents each for the junk.

Remember the PC board is stressed by the unsoldering and soldering and
if overheated the foil will lift. A good supply of solder wick 3/16 and
1/4 inch wide is handy to have too. Putting in cheap parts that prove to
be poor quality can be hard on the PC board.

73, Jerry, K0CQ