Re: [TenTec] Corsair II realignment: DIY?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Corsair II realignment: DIY?
From: Patrick <flymooney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 17:18:51 -0500
Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
> I suppose that's a working brew, but Caig admits to no naptha in the
> pure DeoxIT bottles, like D100L, in fact admits nothing in the MSDS
> except a flash point above 482 F. The spray version they admit is 75%
> naptha, 20% propane or isobutane, and 5% DeoxIT. While oleic acid is a
> component of many cleaning compounds including hair shampoo, neither it
> nor naptha is going to leave significant lubricant behind and naptha has
> a rather low flash point, like 42F. They say the active ingredients are
> a trade secret.
>
> 73, Jerry, K0CQ

It is pretty hard to get anything out of Caig about their formula
(understandably, I would not give it out either). I have been using the
oleic acid / naptha mixture for years now and it has never let me down.
I think DeoxIT has some sort of lube in it as well but I have not had
time to mess around with the formula to see if I could duplicate it. I
do use their FaderLube in pots and switches where something needs to be
left behind for lubrication. I use the oleic acid / naptha to clean the
pot/switch, then use the FaderLube to keep it working well. On purely
contact surfaces which need no lube, I just use the homebrew mixture by
itself.

Patrick
KA4ZNU