Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New and Improved Terminology (NVIS origins)
From: Rsoifer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 15:55:58 -0500 (EST)
Ken,

I guess it's a matter of semantics.  If something "just happens," it's  a
phenomenon.  If you design the system to produce that effect, it's a
technology -- to me, anyway.  By this definition, the phenomenon has been
known
since the 1930s and perhaps even the late 1920s.  The  technology, however,
began when the first person (be he ham, engineer or both)  said, "I want to
work a short path reliably.  What I need to do is put up a  low dipole at the
right height to make optimal use of the ground reflection,"  then went out
and did it.

73 Ray W2RS

In a message dated 1/4/2011 4:24:42 A.M. GMT Standard Time,
ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net writes:

> The technology has been around at least  since WW2,
I always though of short haul skip or NVIS as a phenomena rather  than a
technology.
Yes, you can intentionally build antennas to favor  high angle radiation,
and when you do that you could call it "NVIS  Technology."
For most hams operating on 40 and 75/80 meters, antennas with  high angle
radiation are more of a default, or accidental  situation,
because that is the best we could usually do, due to height  limitations
on our horizontal antennas and poor radial systems on our  verticals.
Then we work the stations we can work, with the antenna system  we have.
And that is often short skip.
Long path DX. Is that a  technology or a phenomena? You could call your
stack of six element yagis  and your big amplifier "Long Path Technology".
I think that propagation  modes including short skip or NVIS are phenomena.

DE  N6KB