Re: [TenTec] NEC, ground, grounds, and radials.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] NEC, ground, grounds, and radials.
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 18:20:59 -0600
My conundrum is that I expect equal power intensity at the the measuring
point from the isotropic source whether a ground plane is involved or
not and that I also expect equal intensity from a vertical dipole in
free space and a quarter wave vertical on the ground plane (except for
the ground absorption at the real ground plane).

To add to my confusion? if I take an infinitesimal vertical radiator an
infinitesimal distance above the origin, such as a radiator of wire
0.00001 ft diameter spanning from 0.0001 to 0.0002 feet elevation with
one segment at 1 MHz with ground plane I see a gain of -57 and a
fraction dBi and in free space a gain of -60 dBi and the same fraction.
Then if I make that an isotropic source by adding two more wires of the
same length at the height of the middle of that first wire, one parallel
to the X axis and one parallel to the Y axis and spaced one wire length
from the middle of the vertical wire, I get -100 dBi gain over the half
sphere over a ground plane or -100 dBi gain in free space. Each wire has
a source in it.

73, Jerry, K0CQ