Re: [TenTec] Obsolescence was: Omni 6 Logic Board Failure

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Obsolescence was: Omni 6 Logic Board Failure
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:21:50 -0600
When the stack and the variables are kept in volatile ram held up by a
battery and that battery gets old the computer runs wild. I doubt
there's any code stored in the ram unless its self modifying which might
be needed in the 8051 architecture. Its important that at this age of
the Omni VI that the lithium cell on the control board be good. If its
not all kinds of odd things can happen. If its under 3 volts when the
radio is not powered its overdue for replacement. The radio has a good
chance of working better if its reset at power up, the master reset that
cleans all the memories. And it will need that after a battery replacement.

The code would be in the 27C256 EPROM and that code has to include
setting up any code in the RAM if there is anything but system variables
and the code stack there. That has to be in the EPROM part of the code
to enable working to start after a master reset.

The battery is in a holder, might be a 2032 but I can't see numbers on
this official scan.

The RAM chip is not as easily found in DIP as in SOIC, but Jameco has
them in quantity for less than $3 each, but it won't hold up content if
the battery is going dead.

73, Jerry, K0CQ