Re: [TenTec] Battery charger (power supply Hercules II)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Battery charger (power supply Hercules II)
From: NL7VL <neal.laugman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:20:52 -0600
>According to the Herc II manual it draws 80 to 100 amps for 1 KW input.
>
>Batteries last even better if the discharge is less than 50%.

Absolutely! I know that with CW you are actually looking at a 50% duty
cycle but I'm not sure about SSB. A pair of 6 volt batteries will
handle several hours of SSB at 100 watts, but we are talking about a
quality battery like a Trojan. An RV size 27 will be well on its way to
total discharge after a couple of hours at 20 amps after a few times
at a heavy discharge rate. The next size up will double the capacity
still giving you 2 hours at 20+ amps, but you've only discharged them
50% or a bit less. Your batteries will now live through 200+ charge
cycles or 4-5 years.

With the RV batteries you are looking at about $100 x 2, but the
Trojans will run at least $300 for the pair. Dang expensive! But that's
what you have to do to protect you investment.

--
 Neal, NL7VL