Re: [TenTec] audio on Omni-VI+

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] audio on Omni-VI+
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 20:20:23 -0600
Looking at schematics I don't see anything but the notch filter
inherently limiting bandwidth on the IF/AF board. Maybe its that notch
filter not getting out of the way when not in use. Maybe its the DSP.
And I'm looking at the Omni VI, not the plus.

A test you might try is to disconnect the two cables between the IF/AF
board and the DSP and hook them together. Take the DSP out of the
circuit and see how it sounds. If it sounds much better that would point
at the DSP board having the bandwidth limitation.

The DSP chip interface to the analog world is through a TLC32041 which
has low pass filters in and out. They are clocked by the DSP chip so are
really hard to change.

The manuals I have on computer show the same part numbers for the audio
and the logic boards, so the differences have to be all in the software
and hard to change from here.

I suspect that jumping around the DSP is as effective as tapping for an
external audio amp. It wouldn't be any harder to bring out an audio tap
for an external amp as to add a tiny toggle switch to select DSP or not
DSP. Needs to be a SPDT, common to the audio output section, like the
constant level output jack, one contact to the input of the DSP and the
other to the output of the DSP with the cable from DSP out to audio
disconnected.

73, Jerry, K0CQ