Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CorsairII notch potentiometer
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz" <charles_steinmetz@lavabit.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 15:44:50 -0500
Steve wrote:

> > I doubt the Omeg part would have had quite the same taper as the
> > original, anyway. Their normal log taper appears to be the simple
> > "Commercial" taper comprising two linear sections of different gradient
> > with a single break point; I guess their reverse log would be the same.

Unless you have spent time in the most stratospheric reaches of high
fidelity audio reproduction or studio equipment, or precision
instrumentation, every log and reverse-log pot you have ever used is
a "two linear sections" approximation.  The only ones I know of that
weren't were some laser-trimmed parts that Alps and Noble made in the
late '70s and early '80s for audio equipment (they were over $30 each
in quantity back then), and some wirewound parts made by Vishay for
instrument use (much more expensive, even for single-gang
units).  You could get two-decade, three-decade, or four-decade log
parts, depending on the range you needed to cover.  (The same was
true of "two linear sections" pots back then; everyone seems to have
standardized on two-and-a-half decade "two linear sections"
approximations since then.)

Best regards,

Charles