Re: [TenTec] OII V2.044A

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OII V2.044A
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:35:43 -0600
I've used an external audio filter on most of my receivers. Both DSP and
passive (http://www.geraldj.networkiowa.com/papers/speakerfilter.pdf).
The passive filter leaves no artifacts behind. I haven't found the DSP
59+ can dig a signal out of the noise, but if the signal is near the
noise level it can improve S/N. And bandpass filtering is very good,
50Hz bandwidth only rings on 35 wpm + CW speeds. Bandpass filtering
after the AGC loop can have strong rejected signals pumping the AGC and
so varying the signal you want, but it also has an AGC mode that levels
audio and tends to bring back noise after noise reduction.

CW with my passive filter set to cutoff about 450 Hz with a suitable low
pitch beat note is kind of eerie. No noise, just signal.

73, Jerry, K0CQ