Re: [TenTec] 255 Power supply

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 255 Power supply
From: Al Gulseth <wb5jnc@centurytel.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 18:33:14 -0600
I'd guess that one of the pass transistors bit the dust (shorted). When that
happens the crowbar circuit fires and shorts the output to ground to protect
the rig (as you alluded to with your comment "it seems to be trying to power
into a dead short"), resulting in the blown fuse (although according to the
manual the internal 20A is the one that should blow in this scenario.) There
are other possibilities but I think this is the most likely.

Regardless, since it almost immediately blows the fuse it's a "hard" failure
and should be easy to track down. It's those intermittent failures that have
helped make the top of my head resemble a cue ball HI HI!!

If it is a bad pass transistor I'd suggest replacing both of them while you
have the PS apart. Last I checked Mouser etc. carried the 2N5301s at a
reasonable price.

73, Al