Re: [TenTec] eagle

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] eagle
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:04:14 -0400
'Couple things,

The difference between 88 watts and 100 watts is about 0.55 db which is
slightly less than
0.1 S unit (using 6db per S unit).   Can anyone hear that difference under
anything other than
lab conditions?   Can anyone hear 0.55 db difference under any conditions?
Probably not.

BUT you say...."I bought a 100 watt transceiver and I want a 100 watt
transceiver!"   OK, no
biggie.   First of all, get a lab standard power meter and dummy load and set
everything up.
Then adjust the two pots (it's two pots in most of the later TT rigs. Not sure
about the Eagle
though) in the radio to calibrate the radio power and alc such that you get
exactly 100 watts.
Not hard.   I've never seen a 100 watt TT radio that would not deliver at least
120 watts or so
if you coaxed it.  The radio can do it but why do it?

In fact, I generally calibrate my radios so 100 watts indicated is well under
100 watts, 80 to 90
typically.   I rarely ever operate over 50 watts.  Why?   Because that's all I
normally need and
every thing runs cooler and cleaner.  If I need more, I fire up the amplifier
and get about 500+
watts with 50 watts drive.

We're not buying a lab instrument...we're buying a radio.  In the case of the
Eagle (and most
other radios I imagine), they do quite well at that task.

To each his own.  But you can have it spot on if you so choose.

-Lee-
WA3FIY