Re: [TenTec] Intermittent Omni VI+ rx problem & optical illusion fixed.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Intermittent Omni VI+ rx problem & optical illusion fixed.
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@weather.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 19:08:34 -0600
All the options make front panel design difficult. Push buttons are
easier to build than rotary switches to select bands, but some radios
like the Omni VI and the Yaesu FT-1000 have a mere 90 to 110 buttons and
knobs on the front panel. The selection can also overwhelm the user so
that 85 are never touched, only the minimum number are actually used
which makes a radio with menus for most of those less used functions
less intimidating to the user. Unfortunately once a gang of functions
are on a menu, the push is to put ALL the functions on that menu, even
the common functions that need to be readily available. There's
definitely a design trade off that not all radio designers have found
the perfect solution to.

73, Jerry, K0CQ