Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SLIGHTLY OT
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 21:46:26 +0100
Art,

If you mean extending the ends off at 90 degrees to the main dipole at
the 25ft/30ft level, that's fine. Just think of it as adding end
capacity loading to an electrically short dipole. The important thing is
that it raises the resistive component and drops the capacitive
component of the feedpoint impedance - both of which significantly
reduce the VSWR and loss on the open wire.

But note that we are focussing on 160m here - there will be a "knock on"
for the other bands which will likely be detrimental. On the higher
frequency bands there will be much more current in those low extensions
than there is on 160m, and that means the "effective height" of the
antenna will be lower.

73,
Steve G3TXQ