Re: [TenTec] TT transmatch Noise Bridge Kit

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT transmatch Noise Bridge Kit
From: "Rick - NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:53:19 +0200
James,

The answer is, it depends on the tuner, and the band conditions.

Most tuners today simply match the SWR but don't really add any bandpass
selectivity.
However if you use a link-coupled tuner, such as a Johnson Viking Matchbox,
or an Annecke, or even an Z-match, you will have rejection outside of the
bandpass of the tuner, so you will hear the receiver peak significantly when
you bring the antenna system into resonance (matched SWR).

You will find, at least here in Europe, that if you use such a tuner, your
receiver tends to have less intermodulation distortion because the total
voltage reaching the front-end of the RX is reduced.

The reason Europe is different from the US is that the foreign broadcast
stations are much stronger here, so all receivers tend to overload a little
on 40m, unless they are of the highest quality.  That's why I use a
preselector with all of my radios here.  When I say all, I mean all; even
the Orion and K3!

Finally, and this is a hunch so somebody may want to call me on this, but I
suspect if you are operating in a thunderstorm and using a link-coupled
matchbox, you will also have less static interference than if you use no
matchbox or one of the simple T-Filter match boxes.

73
Rick, DJ0IP
(New QTH is now Gemuenden, Germany - about 40 miles east of Frankfurt)