Re: [TenTec] Titan III - no grid drive

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan III - no grid drive
From: "David W LeJeune" <lejeuned@centurytel.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 19:56:09 -0500
Actually, the screen grid current is often slightly negative when tuning up
with 20 watts.  On rare occasions, when there is a bad mismatch with the
antenna and the amp (e.g. tuning up on wrong antenna), you get lots of
screen current.  Also, light loading will cause a higher screen current.
While I occasionally see the overdrive LED come on for screen current, I
can't remember ever seeing the one for grid overdrive come one.

The Titan III is not an easy amp to tune, and it took me several months to
master it.  The old dip the plate with the Tune capacitor, then increase

I'm removing the case tomorrow to see if I can see/smell any problems, then
will probably remove the power transformer and box it up to send back to
TenTec ($80 round trip just for freight!)

Dave