Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 17:51:35 -1000
The narrow filters in the Paragon are all in the 6.3 MHz IF, which can
be shifted in frequency space using the PBT control. You should be able
to zero beat (that is get the audio note frequency of the incoming
signal equal to) the incoming signal to your CW sidetone, using one of
the wider filter selections, then switch to a narrower filter and adjust
the PBT to maximize the signal strength of the signal you have
previously zero beat.

You don't need to zero beat the incoming signal, though it may be
preferable to do so. Whatever audio tone frequency you like to hear from
the incoming signal, you can adjust the PBT to maximize when using the
narrow filters.

Zero beating as described above should make your transmitted signal zero
beat with the other station you are attempting to communicate with.
However it depends on your BFO frequency and your sidetone frequency,
which are BOTH adjustable. The Sidetone frequency can be adjusted with a
pot on the back panel of the rig. Since that is fairly easy to access,
it is also probably the more likely one to be misaligned.

Read the manual and be sure you understand what you are doing before
adjusting the sidetone. Some thing goes for the BFO, but even more so,
because it can affect your transmit frequency too. It would be best to
have a frequency counter available when making either of those adjustments.

None of these frequency adjustments for getting zero beat with the other
station are really necessary in order to get a desired received signal
audio tone frequency in the center of your narrow IF filter bandpass.
That is done with the PBT control.

DE N6KB