Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question

To: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question
From: Chuck <ka6uup@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 21:45:07 -0700
Here is what I have done.
First, I noticed a problem when monitoring W1AW.
When tuned to 14.0475 ( or 7.0475) I noticed that to maximize the
receive audio, I had to tune .3 kHz off freq, using the RIT,  to gain a
significant
increase in audio. (I can gain 2-3 s-units by doing this.) Because of
the narrow CW filter the passband tuning will not compensate for this.
Am I missing something here?
I have studied the operators manual but find only one reference to
setting the sidetone.
This is that the sidetone may be set to the users preference. (3-8.1)
Using another transceiver and a frequency counter,  I set the other
transceiver to transmit exactly on 7.000 mHz.
then using the Paragon set to 7.000 mHz I compared the side tone to the
offset tone of the Paragon and set the sidetone,
to sound the same (by ear)???
I am still not able to get the receive audio maximized using the
passband tuning. I have to use the RIT.
However, when I do this the audio signal is at a higher frequency than I
am comfortable with.
Again what am I missing here.
Thanks For your assistance.
Chuck