Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Question
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 01:02:59 -1000
Hi Chuck,

Turn the RIT and XIT off or set them to zero. Should be that same thing.

Start by tuning a strong CW signal with the Paragon in CW mode with the
6.0 kHz BW filter selected. You should be able to tune over a fairly
wide range (like about 6.0 kHz), changing the audio frequency note of
the receive signal, while maintaining the same signal strength indicated
on the S meter.

Most CW signals I listen to barely even move the S meter. You are better
off trying this with a strong locally generated signal, such as from a
signal generator or a transmitter running at low power into a terminator
(dummy load).

Beware the Paragon has some neat audio controls that may change the
audio amplitude as you tune across the signal. These should have no
effect whatsoever on the S meter reading. To simplify matters set the
FADE control fully counterclockwise. Set the TONE control to the 12
o'clock position.

In the 6.0 kHz BW filter selection the PBT will have absolutely no effect.

If you cannot tune to the signal over a range of nearly 6.0 kHz with
very little change in the S meter reading, then there is something wrong.

After you have played with it in the 6.0 kHz BW mode, choose an audio
frequency note you like, and then leave the the VFO alone for the rest
of this exercise.

Now select the 2.4 kHz filter. Now the PBT setting matters. You should
be able to rotate the PBT knob such that the signal decreases
significantly at either extreme of the PBT setting. This will be
apparent both as a reduced S meter reading and as reduced audio volume.
Leave the PBT in the approximate center between the two settings that
make a noticeable reduction of signal level.

Now select the 1.8 kHz filter. Repeat the same exercise as above, and
notice that you can rotate the PBT over a slightly smaller range for the
same reduction of signal strength as with the 2.4 filter.

Now select the .50 BW filter. Same thing all over again, except yet a
narrower range of PBT settings lets the signal through.

Try the .25 BW filter. More of the same, or perhaps I should say less of
the same.

When you get the PBT set for the maximum signal strength using the 0.25
BW filter, and then switch to any of the wider filters, the signal
should already be at maximum without any further adjustment of the PBT.
If that is not the case then one or more of your filters do not have the
same bandpass center frequency.

Try all of that, and then tell me where your radio's function does not
conform to what I have said will happen.

DE N6KB