Re: [TenTec] Anyone compared a Ten Tec Eagle to the Icom 7000?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Anyone compared a Ten Tec Eagle to the Icom 7000?
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:37:54 -0400
I would still recommend the Omni VII.

Things are happening for it, and it has great specifications.   We use
multiple Omni VIIs and K-3s at our contest station.   The guys like the
Omni VII, and it holds it own with those "other brand" rigs...      ;-)

If you ignore the close in third order intercept number, The Omni VII
seems to equal or surpass the Eagle on other specifications, and has
loads of other features the Eagle does not have, such as  (my favorite)
a separate receive-only antenna input,  2 transmit antenna inputs, a
nice manner of operation, good ergonomics,   does AM and FM without
having to make optional filter choices,  has more on-front-panel
controls,  and is soon to have an improved band scope, and even more
choices for computer control.     (BTW, the Eagle will also soon have
another program for computer control available...)

The Omni VII has some other cool features over the Eagle, such as
multiple key, PTT,  mic, line-in, and other inputs - so it might better
fit the bill for a guy who might prefer a more complex user experience
than the Eagle provides.    I compared a whole list  of specifications
and features between the two rigs, and the Omni VII is still the one I
want  (no slur on the Eagle, but as John Henry pointed out, the Eagle is
designed to fit in the product line in such a way as to offer something
different, at its price point, but not overshadow or obsolete any other
model.)    So I would put the Omni VII on the list of recommendations.

Just MY take.    Your mileage may vary.

        (Disclaimer - The above quick-off-the-top-of-my-head summary
        of features may not be 100% accurate or state a complete
        list of features differentiating the two rigs ... just trying to
        suggest the Omni VII as a viable purchase candidate.)      ;-)

Happy Trails.

On 9/15/2011 16:57, Stuart Rohre wrote:

  He is a rather technical type of guy,